It has an establishment of 16.
Scandinavian immigrants settled this area at the Southern region end of the Takapau Plains, in 1872. The settlers were bought to New Zealand by the Government to fell the 'Seventy Mile Bush' and to build a road that would link Hawkes Bay and Manawatu. The village still retains some of the Northern European influence today. It is 105 kilometres from Napier.