The New Zealand Fire Service attends hundreds of fires that have spread from nearby rubbish skips and bins every year.
Help reduce the risk of rubbish fires damaging your business with the following points.
- Locate bins away from building.
- Store combustible waste in metal rubbish containers with self closing lids.
- Products and materials that need to be stored outside must be in limited pile sizes and well away from buildings, inside and outside the boundary fences.
- Arrange to have waste collected weekly
to minimise rubbish on site at weekends.
- Ensure public access is limited to your
building and yards.
- Define safe designated smoking areas
- Lock bin lids when not in use.
- Install and maintain adequate perimeter fencing and lock and secure property at night.
- Provide security lighting and surveillance equipment.
Please refer to the downloadable brochure for recommended distances to keep bins and skips from buildings.