Every year we attend hundreds of fires that have spread from nearby rubbish skips and bins.
You can help reduce the risk of rubbish fires damaging your business by following these guidelines:
- Locate bins away from your building.
- Store flammable waste in metal rubbish containers with self closing lids.
- Some products and materials need to be stored outside. Limit the pile size and keep them well away from buildings both inside and outside any boundary fences.
- Arrange to have waste collected weekly to reduce rubbish on site at weekends.
- Limit public access to your building and yards.
- Define safe designated smoking areas for staff.
- Lock bin lids when you’re not using them.
- Install and maintain adequate perimeter fencing so you can lock and secure the property at night.
- Install and maintain security lighting and surveillance equipment.
Find out more about the recommended distances between bins/skips and buildings