You are here: HOME > Business Fire Safety > Fireworks Displays and Retail
A guide to indoor firework displays 
A guide to indoor pyrotechnic displays 


Under the regulation 44 of the Hazardous Substances (Classes 1 to 5 Controls) Regulations 2001, the person in charge of display is required to obtain written agreement from us prior to a display that uses Class 1 Category G substances.  At this time there is no Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO) approved Code of Practice for indoor pyrotechnic displays.  To get our written agreement for an indoor pyrotechnic display, we have a form for you to download and complete, with all the information we need to know.


Timeframes and requirements

We require 5 working days before the date of firing to process an application.  If your application form is incorrectly filled out or has insufficient information for us to be able to make a decision processing of your application may be delayed.  If this happens we will write to you highlighting any errors and omissions, or inappropriate controls.

Guidance for completing the application form

Comply with the Hazardous Substances (Classes 1 to 5 Controls) Regulations 2001


Your answers should:

  • reflect the complexity and size of the display, and
  • have been reached in conjunction with appropriate parties, such as the pyrotechnician and the event organiser.

What should I do now?

Download our Indoor Pyrotechnic Display Written Agreement and Notification Form.  If you have any questions you can call us on 0800 347 346.


Indoor pyrotechnics in an urban fire district

Once you have filled in the form, send it with your display plan to our Fire Information Unit:

Indoor pyrotechnics in a rural fire district

If your outdoor pyrotechnic display is located outside of an urban fire district your application must be forwarded to a Rural Fire Authority for a Principal Rural Fire Officer to approve.


The National Rural Fire Authority website ( has a “Do I need a fire permit? Fire Season Status" map on their home page that can help you find the name, address and contact information for your nearest RFA. Otherwise contact your local territorial council, who will be able to give you the contact information for the nearest RFA.