To work for the New Zealand Fire Service you need to be a permanent resident of New Zealand or have a current work permit. Australian citizens can work freely in New Zealand. Please refer to the New Zealand Immigration Service for further information.
115 / 2014
Volunteer Support Officer (VSO)
Area 12 - North Taranaki
Applications are sought from suitable personnel for the position of Volunteer Support Officer, based in North Taranaki.
The purpose of a Volunteer Support Officer is to support the Volunteer Brigades in the area in meeting legislative and organisational requirements including operational readiness and fire risk management and also that resources to assist them are organised and coordinated in a timely manner. There will also be a priority emphasis on ensuring that a safe working environment is maintained for colleagues, visitors and the community in all the Brigades.
Reporting to the Area Manager, your tasks involve:
- providing operational and administrative support including monitoring operational readiness
- supporting fire risk management initiatives and recruitment activities
- assisting with business planning
- driving a “service culture” ethos
- assisting with the role out of NZFS initiatives and projects and equipment
- Coordinating repair and maintenance of equipment
- Ensuring health and safety is paramount
You will need to demonstrate the following:
- sound interpersonal and relationship building skills
- competent in the use of MS Office and other IT systems
- effective communicate both written and oral
- some knowledge or exposure to financial management; budgeting and/or business planning
- Drivers licence essential - Heavy vehicle duty licence a bonus
Ideally, you will also have knowledge and practical experience from with NZFS and/or an understanding of how volunteer emergency services operate.
If you’re passionate about the role that NZFS Volunteer brigades and fire-fighters play in their communities, then we will provide you with a unique opportunity to utilise your knowledge and skills in a supportive and dynamic emergency services environment.
This is a life style opportunity and if it sounds like you, then apply now!
As an employer, NZFS is committed to providing an enjoyable and challenging work environment with a focus on continuing personal and professional development.
How to Apply
All applications must include your Application Pack, CV and covering letter and be sent to:
Business Support Area
For further information on this role, please contact:
Area Manager Pat Fitzell 06 757 3864
Applications close: 9.00am Monday 3 November 2014